Effective August 25, 2021. Last Revised August 25, 2021
Our website address is: https://www.wentchina.com.
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide to us directly when you use the Services. This includes:
If you create a WentChina Community account, we may require you to provide a username and password. Your username is public, and it doesn’t have to be related to your real name. You may also provide other account information, like an email address, bio, or profile picture. We also store your user account preferences and settings.
Content you submit:
We collect the content you submit to the Services. This includes your posts and comments including saved drafts, your messages with other users (e.g., private messages, chats), and your reports and other communications with moderators and with us. Your content may include text, links, images, gifs, and videos.
Actions you take:
We collect information about the actions you take when using the Services. This includes your interactions with content, like voting, saving, hiding, and reporting. It also includes your interactions with other users, such as following, friending, and blocking. We collect your interactions with communities, like your subscriptions or moderator status.
If you purchase products or services from us, we will collect certain information from you, including your name, address, email address, and information about the product or service you are purchasing. WentChina Community uses industry-standard payment processor services (for example, Stripe) to handle payment information.
You may choose to provide other information directly to us. For example, we may collect information when you fill out a form, participate in promotions, apply for a job, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with us.
Information We Collect Automatically
When you access or use our Services, we may also automatically collect information about you. This includes:
Log and usage data:
We may log information when you access and use the Services. This may include your IP address, user-agent string, browser type, operating system, referral URLs, device information (e.g., device IDs), device settings, pages visited, links clicked, the requested URL, and search terms. Except for the IP address used to create your account, WentChina Community will delete any IP addresses collected after 100 days.
Information collected from cookies and similar technologies:
We may receive and process information about your location. For example, with your consent, we may collect information about the specific location of your mobile device (for example, by using GPS or Bluetooth). We may also receive location information from you when you choose to share such information on our Services, including by associating your content with a location, or we may derive your approximate location from other information about you, including your IP address.
Information Collected by Third Parties
We use information about you to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve the Services;
- Research and develop new services;
- Help protect the safety of WentChina Community and our users, which includes blocking suspected spammers, addressing abuse, and enforcing the WentChina Community User Agreement and our other policies;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, invoices, and other support and administrative messages;
- Provide customer service;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, and events, and provide other news and information we think will be of interest to you (for information about how to opt out of these communications, see “Your Choices” below);
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services;
- Measure the effectiveness of ads shown on our Services; and
- Personalize the Services, and provide and optimize advertisements, content, and features that match user profiles or interests.
Much of the information on the Services is public and accessible to everyone, even without an account. By using the Services, you are directing us to share this information publicly and freely.
When you submit content (including a post, comment, chat message) to a public part of the Services, any visitors to and users of our Services will be able to see that content, the username associated with the content, and the date and time you originally submitted the content. WentChina Community allows other sites to embed public WentChina Community content via our embed tools. WentChina Community also allows third parties to access public WentChina Community content via the WentChina Community API and other similar technologies. Although some parts of the Services may be private or quarantined, they may become public (e.g., at the moderator’s option in the case of private groups) and you should take that into consideration before posting to the Services.
Your WentChina Community account has a profile page that is public. Your profile contains information about your activities on the Services, such as your username, prior posts and comments and how long you have been a member of the Services., WentChina Community Premium status, and how long you have been a member of the Services.
We offer social sharing features that let you share content or actions you take on our Services with other media. Your use of these features enables the sharing of certain information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the third party that provides the social sharing feature.
WentChina Community only shares nonpublic information about you in the following ways. We do not sell this information.
- With your consent. We may share information about you with your consent or at your direction.
- With linked services. If you link your WentChina Communityaccount with a third-party service, WentChina Community will share the information you authorize with that third-party service. You can control this sharing as described in “Your Choices” below.
- With our service providers. We may share information with vendors, consultants, and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work for us. Their use of personal data will be subject to appropriate confidentiality and security measures. A few examples: (i) payment processors who process transactions on our behalf, (ii) cloud providers who host our data and our services, (iii) third-party ads measurement providers who help us and advertisers measure the performance of ads shown on our Services.
- To comply with the law. We may share information in response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or governmental request, including, but not limited to, meeting national security or law enforcement requirements. To the extent the law allows it, we will attempt to provide you with prior notice before disclosing your information in response to such a request. Our Transparency Report has additional information about how we respond to government requests.
- In an emergency. We may share information if we believe it’s necessary to prevent imminent and serious bodily harm to a person.
- To enforce our policies and rights. We may share information if we believe your actions are inconsistent with our User Agreement, rules, or other WentChina Community policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of ourselves and others.
- With our affiliates. We may share information between and among WentChina Community, and any of our parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and other companies under common control and ownership.
- Aggregated or de-identified information. We may share information about you that has been aggregated or anonymized such that it cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
How We Protect Your Information
We take measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. For example, we use HTTPS while information is being transmitted. We also enforce technical and administrative access controls to limit which of our employees have access to nonpublic personal information.
You can help maintain the security of your account by configuring two-factor authentication.
We store the information we collect for as long as it is necessary for the purpose(s) for which we originally collected it. We may retain certain information for legitimate business purposes or as required by law.
You have choices about how to protect and limit the collection, use, and sharing of information about you when you use the Services. Some of these choices are available to everyone who uses WentChina Community, while others only apply if you have a WentChina Community account.
Accessing and Changing Your Information:
You can access and change certain information through the Services.
Deleting Your Account:
You may delete your account information at any time by contacting the administrator. When you delete your account, your profile is no longer visible to other users and disassociated from content you posted under that account. Please note, however, that the posts, comments, and messages you submitted prior to deleting your account will still be visible to others unless you first delete the specific content. We may also retain certain information about you as required by law or for legitimate business purposes after you delete your account.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject first- and third-party cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services.
Do Not Track:
Most modern web browsers give you the option to send a Do Not Track signal to the sites you visit, indicating that you do not wish to be tracked. However, there is no accepted standard for how a site should respond to this signal, and we do not take any action in response to this signal. Instead, in addition to publicly available third-party tools, we offer you the choices described in this policy to manage the collection and use of information about you.
Controlling Promotional Communications:
You may opt out of receiving some or all categories of promotional communications from us by following the instructions in those communications or by updating your email options in your account preferences here. If you opt out of promotional communications, we may still send you non-promotional communications, such as information about your account or your use of the Services.
Controlling Mobile Notifications:
With your consent, we may send promotional and non-promotional push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
Controlling Location Information:
You can control how we use location information inferred from your IP address for content recommendation purposes via the Safety and Privacy settings on your account. If you initially consent to our collection of more precise location information from your device, you can subsequently stop the collection of this information at any time by changing the preferences on your mobile device.
Changes to This Policy