1. South China’s Pearl River Basin expected to suffer once-in-a-century flood; new alert issued as rain belt moves northward.
Due to the continuous heavy rain, a hydrometric station of a main stream in Zhujiang (Pearl) River Basin, South China’s Guangdong Province registered a flood flow that exceeded historic records on Wednesday, and is expected to have a peak discharge on Thursday, which will be a once-in- a-century flood.
2. Xi urges BRICS solidarity, openness for peace, development
BEIJING, June 22 (Xinhua) — Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday attended the opening ceremony of the BRICS Business Forum and delivered a keynote speech in Beijing via video link, urging its members to embrace solidarity and expand win-win cooperation and openness in the pursuit of peace, stability and sustainable global development.
3. Afghan quake kills 1,000; toll expected to rise
KABUL－A powerful earthquake struck a rural, mountainous region of eastern Afghanistan near the Pakistani border early on Wednesday, killing at least 1,000 people and injuring 1,500 others, authorities said.
4. Young Kyrgyz reflect on their education and life in China
Many young Kyrgyz dream of studying abroad, with Chinese universities appearing on the radar in recent years.
5. World’s top 10 richest persons in 2022
Forbes said war, the pandemic, and sluggish markets hit the world’s billionaires this year. As per Forbes’ 36th annual ranking of the planet’s richest people, there are 2,668 billionaires in the world, which is 87 fewer than a year ago. They are worth a collective $12.7 trillion — $400 billion less than in 2021.
6. Int’l Student Tells Experience of Returning to China
The total estimated cost is 25,200 RMB.
7. Good news for intl arrivals! More cities shorten quarantine time!
At least eight Chinese cities have curtailed centralized quarantine periods for international arrivals from 14 days to 10 or seven days, Chinese embassies have streamlined visa applications for foreigners.